What does it take to be a Board Member?
The Board of Directors is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about Unison’s mission and can donate their individual talents. We are a proactive hands-on board. Find out who we are and where we come from, then read on to see what we need.
Board Member Job Description
- Regularly attends monthly Board meetings and important related meetings.
- Initiates and supports fundraising efforts for the organization.
- Participates actively in committee work.
- Stays informed about Board matters, prepares themselves well for meetings, and reviews and comments on minutes and reports.
- Gets to know other committee members and builds a collegial working relationship that contributes to consensus.
- Collaborates in the board’s annual evaluations of the Executive Director, and planning efforts.
- Serves a three-year term with a maximum term of six years.
Potential Board Members Expectations and Qualifications
Most members have taken on committee responsibilities and volunteer to support our different events. These contributions have been vital to our success. We have certain needs that we are hoping to fulfill from new board members:
- Fundraising and grant writing skills
- Legal expertise
- Facilities (carpentry, electrical, plumbing, creative design)
- Financial advising
- Budget formulation and execution
- Strategic planning
- Networking and community relations skills
- Leadership in long range goals, strategies, plans and policies